PUNAKHA

  • 1
  • /
  • 1

The Punakha Dzong, also known as Pungtang Dechen Photrang Dzong (which means "the palace of great happiness or bliss"), is the administrative centre of Punakha District in Punakha, Bhutan. Punakha Dzong was the administrative centre and the seat of the Government of Bhutan until 1955, when the capital was moved to Thimphu.

Another view of The Punakha Dzong. Awesome.

Panoramic view of the couryards of The Punakha Dzong. It is also known as Pungtang Dechen Photrang Dzong (which means "the palace of great happiness or bliss").

Dochula pass is located on the way to Punakha from Thimphu. With its fluttering prayer flags and views over the majestic Himalayas, takes your breath away on a clear day. The highly ornate Drukwangyal Lhakhang (temple) and the 108 chortens, was built by the Queen Mother Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuck to honour the Bhutanese soldiers who were killed when fighting Indian naxals/rebels in 2003.

Walking around the 108 Chortens at the pass is a surreal experience and due to its significance the visitors are very respectful of the spiritual nature of this place.

Side view Dochula pass.

The Punakha Dzong, also known as Pungtang Dechen Photrang Dzong (which means "the palace of great happiness or bliss"), is the administrative centre of Punakha District in Punakha, Bhutan.

Monks on the bridge linking to The Punakha Dzong

Monks at The Punakha Dzong

The path to Temple of Fertility (Chimi L''hakhang Temple), it is not uncommon to see phallus or phallic symbols on the house or gift items.

Near the Temple of Fertility (Chimi L''hakhang Temple).

The Temple of Fertility (Chimi L''hakhang Temple), Punakha, Bhutan. The site was blessed by the "Divine Madman" the maverick saint Drukpa Kunley (1455–1529) who built a chorten on the site. The Lhakhang is of modest size, square in shape with a golden spire. It is a golden yellow roofed building. It has a row of prayer wheels and its exterior walls are embedded with slates carved with images of saints.

Near the entrance to the Lakhang, there is this small chorten which marks the location where the demoness was subdued by Lama Kunley. This small 16th century temple of fertility is dedicated to the Lama Drukpa Kunley, the ‘Divine Madman’, decorated with colourful phalluses and visited by childless couples seeking a special blessing to beget children. This is one of the highly revered temples in all of Bhutan.

Monks at the Temple of Fertility (Chimi L''hakhang Temple), Punakha, Bhutan. The site was blessed by the "Divine Madman" the maverick saint Drukpa Kunley (1455-1529) who built a chorten on the site.

Now that''s one way to welcome. Cutting through the villages off the main road on the way to the Temple of Fertility (Chimi L''hakhang Temple) in Punakha, Bhutan.